Author Topic: interesting (and unsuspected) lab results re: epivir/3TC  (Read 1651 times)

jackie

interesting (and unsuspected) lab results re: epivir/3TC
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:06:19 AM »
some interesting data to post. first labs taken this week 2/21  - since starting arv 3TC (epivir/lamivudine) approx 2 months ago.

in two months my c-reative protein levels have decreased from 6.6 (high) to 2.44  (reference range=0.00-3.00)

c-reactive protein levels measure inflammation in the blood

(*relative risk for future cardiovascular event:) low              <1.00
                                                                         average 1.00-3.00
                                                                          high             >3.00 
lipid panel:
total cholesterol reduced form 288 (high) to 157....................reference range 100-199
triglycycerides from 247 (high) to 122.....................................                              0-149
HDL cholesterol reduced form 70 (high) to 66.........................                                 >39
VLDL cholesterol cal  reduced from 49 (high) to 24.................                                 5-40
LDL  cholesterol cal reduced from 169 (high) to 67.................                                 0-99

(no lactic acidosis, normal liver enzymes, normal kidney function)

thought this was worth sharing as these numbers have been cut about in half ...dont know the significance of this data yet (what accounts for improvement in lipid panel? ??? but it is a marked change.)

viral load counts/tcell counts will be done in mar.

regards...j

note: for privacy reasons, i generally remove personal information about specific treatments on forums (EXCEPT for acyclovir use!) within a few days...so i have removed my comments in this thread. i hope the information was useful. as soon as i have any more "news" to report that might help others, i will post. (thanks to everyone for being interested in my experience. your support is VERY much appreciated....you are all sweet friends! :-*)
although i'd like to be here to make comments/thank yous to any replies...unfortunately, i cant be as active on the forums as much as id like. i am involved in caring for a loved one undergoing chemo....so if i miss a reply...i hope you'll understand! :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:35:56 PM by jackie »

Sweetpea

Re: interesting (and unsuspected) lab results re: epivir/3TC
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:14:40 AM »
Very interesting numbers, Jackie. Thanks for sharing. Your HDL is actually good, not high, it needs to be above 39.

Did you change anything else during the 2 month time period or was the addition of the ARVs the only change?

Will be interesting to see what next month brings with viral load/tcell counts.... ;)

belcanto

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »
Jackie - that is great news!  Whatever it is doing to your viral status, it has tremendously improved your lipid profile.  And that should, normally, at least, vastly improve your cardiovascular risks.  Yea!!

Hoping

• I'm A Gamma!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
This is great news, Jackie!  I am very happy for you.   :D

Your new numbers are so healthy for a lipid profile!

There is much more to this disease than meets the eye, methinks.

Looking forward to hearing your March test results.

Take care,
Hoping
One day at a time.

lulu

• You diabolical mastermind, you!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »
Those are some lovely numbers jackie! I think you have written that you have been feeling a bit better as well? I love to hear about good news and those c-reactive and lipid numbers are very good! ;)

Inge

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »
Thank you Jackie for trying this out for us older folks. I am 62, ME since 1988, house bound, no special treatments except the usual supplements and pacing as best as life permits.

When I followed all the arv, av treatments in younger patients I thought it is too late for us to start something like this (too much secondary damage already)...

Jerry

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
I wonder, too, Inge, if it's already too late for oldies like me to try ARV's. I would have to travel to another city to find a knowledgeable doctor - daunting enough in itself.

Thanks for sharing the information, Jackie. You're a brave soul!

since

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
Can I ask what made you decide to take epivir/lamivudine instead of TDF or AZT or raltegravir?
Quality over quantity.

girlinthesnow

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »
Hi Jackie, thank you so much for your report, it's so great to get good news and long may it continue  :D ;D

I think I remember you saying that you'd decided against taking  imunoprop.  Just thinking about immune modulators and wondering which ones you're considering now?

since

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:20:32 AM »
That is interesting because the Singh in vitro tests for that drug did not seem to have any efficacy for XMRV; however, that study was done prior to the Science 2009 paper, so they must have used the VP62 prostate cancer clone. Maybe the strains in a ME/CFS patient and/or PMRV are a different story.
Quality over quantity.

Inge

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
I have no idea how to find such an understanding doctor as Jackie's here in the UK. And if there is one he/she will be stricken off the register....

daffodil123

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
hello. can someone please explain the reasoning behind trying epivir? i have been on AZT+RAL+TDF for 11 months now and am still very sick, although not as sick as when i began.

thanks a lot
daff

girlinthesnow

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
Hi Jackie, I'm looking forward to hearing Dr Chia speak again at the IinME Conference in May  :),

he really is a lovely man.

:-*

Michelle

daffodil123

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
is dr. chia treating an enterovirus infection with epivir and 3tc??

can someone tell me pleaaaaaaaaaaaase!!!??

daffodil123

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »
hi jackie. i am very glad you are better! i just dont understand why your doctor wouldnt experiment with raltegravir or tenofovir first...?

what a mysterious illness!

by the way, you can still get the XMRV serology test while on the drugs - i did. it just tests for antibodies.