Author Topic: Gill demystifying medicine lecture - all his facts are wrong!! (STOP HIM)  (Read 2190 times)

Tango

• Paprotka et al. 2011 is a bust!
Gill who ever he is hasn't got a clue.  Just look at the slides he is using and reading material.

http://demystifyingmedicine.od.nih.gov/DM11/CourseMaterials11.html
http://demystifyingmedicine.od.nih.gov/DM11/02-22-2011/2011-02-22-Gill.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:10:29 AM by v99 »
"I suspect there have been a number of conspiracies that never were described or leaked out. But I suspect none of the magnitude and sweep of Watergate." Woodward

"I would favor any name that does not impose (or give the appearance of imposing) taxonomic preconceptions on the nomenclature." Coffin

Gerwyn

Re: Gill demystifying medicine lecture - all his facts are wrong!! (STOP HIM)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »
Gill who ever he is hasn't got a clue.  Just look at the slides he is using and reading material.

FUKUDA defines  cfs fatigue as physical and mental exhaustion unrelieved by rest

GILl uses tiredness   we are entitled to the fukuda description  bombard the organisers with emails insisting on this description

Tango

• Paprotka et al. 2011 is a bust!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »
sorry flex, I posted them in the first post.  Go to the 22 February for the reading materials.
"I suspect there have been a number of conspiracies that never were described or leaked out. But I suspect none of the magnitude and sweep of Watergate." Woodward

"I would favor any name that does not impose (or give the appearance of imposing) taxonomic preconceptions on the nomenclature." Coffin

Doogle

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:20:35 AM »
Gillman"s slide 43: "Life is one long process of getting tired"   >:(  >:(  >:(

What, is he tring to become the new Stephen Straus?

Now imagine if he were giving a lecture on alzheimers disease and said:
Life is one long process of getting forgetful.

Or with ALS:
Life is one long process of becoming less agile.

Doogle

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »
I just emailed him at fgill@nih.gov:

Dear Dr. Gill,

I read your slide 43, "Life is one long process of getting tired",  and I  was completely repulsed by it.

Would it be appropriate for a lecture on Alzheimer's disease to say:
Life is one long process of getting forgetful.

Or with ALS:
Life is one long process of becoming less agile.

In my opinion you owe a public apology to the ME/CFS community.

jmk

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:01:25 AM »
     If you thought that slide #43 was repulsive (and it WAS), then I suggest you just skip over slide #44.  Apparently Gill believes that we should just pull our lazy asses out of bed (that is making us mental) and get back to work. 
 >:(

JT1024

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:11:52 AM »
Doogle,   I'm going to email him also. 

ETA:  I did email him and told him (towards the end of my email) that he was in violation of the Hippocratic oath. He IS DOING HARM.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:59:31 PM by JT1024 »
First they Ignore you , then they Laugh at you , then they Attack you , then you WIN!!!

Mahatma Gandhi

Gerwyn

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »

Please e mail the organisers the press anyone  gill wont change pressure might get it changed

Countrygirl

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 01:21:01 PM »
I have sent my e-mail and am encouraging our UK forum to do likewise.

At least, I hope we manage to persuade him to withdraw the last two insulting slides.

C.G.

Jerry

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »
Dr. Gill's slides and reference material are very troubling. Here a medical doctor has a chance to educate PhD scientists, and he apparently is just going to regurgitate years of CDC claptrap. The NIH should do better than perpetuate misinformation and prejudice.  >:(

This is Slide 37.

CFS - Treatment

Strauss SE. Pharmacotherapy of chronic fatigue syndrome: another gallant attempt. JAMA 2004; 292:1234.

"Many therapies have been tried in CFS but only cognitive behavioral therapy and graded exercised appear to produce meaningful benefit."

Does Dr. Gill actually intend to quote the notorious Stephen Strauss as an authority? Emails needed.

Thanks to Countrygirl and others who have already emailed!

Gerwyn

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
 The objective of this is obviously to make people doubt lo/Atler and to indoctrinate the audience into a belief that our disease is psychogenic  dont tell me we have "advocates" supporting this presentation too.Did,nt Cort Johnson say that this guy was presenting objective evidence about the benefit of CBT. Originally he attributed this presentation to Lo/Atler

nicely timed to coincide with PACE  no accident methinks!

Of course this propaganda will be broadcast by our wonderful CAA (can you imagine life without them?) free of charge.

Predictably they have raised no objection whatsoever to the contents of Gills lecture

Neither have Pandora  o r the mwpca. Isn't such a display of unity by our self appointed representatives truly wonderful?

where would we be without them?  Can anyone imagine  what life would be like then?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:40:28 PM by Gerwyn »

Thegodofpleasure

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »
I just read his Bio:  http://demystifyingmedicine.od.nih.gov/DM11/BioSketch/DM0222-Gill-Fred.pdf

Given his past involvement with AIDS, one might have expected him to identify more readily with XMRV /MLVs and their potential for doing harm !

Also sent him an Email :

Dear Dr Gill,

Having looked at the slides that you intend to present during the “Demystifying Medicine” lecture tomorrow,  I was disappointed to note much of their content, particularly that which emphasised the supposed benefits of CBT and GET.

Your slides appear to be completely out of step with the findings of your co-presenters.

I therefore wonder to what extent you are aware of the increasingly convincing evidence that Murine Leukemia related retroviruses play a role in ME/cfs and other neuro-immune diseases.

Perhaps if you were to review these videos http://www.gordonmedical.com/aaim_videos.html and the slides being presented by Drs. Alter & Lo, (before delivering your own tomorrow), you might save yourself from professional embarrassment in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Jerry

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
Very nice, GOP! ;) Thank you!

Doogle

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
     If you thought that slide #43 was repulsive (and it WAS), then I suggest you just skip over slide #44.  Apparently Gill believes that we should just pull our lazy asses out of bed (that is making us mental) and get back to work. 
 >:(

I have looked at slide #44 for a while now and I agree that the message is crude and probably will be misinterpreted by the wider audience, but losing your ability to work at a life's passion can be devastating too. What the slide doesn't convey is the enormous price that most have to pay to try to continue to work. Case in point is Laura Hillenbrand.

Justin Reilly

• ME not "CFS"!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 08:45:20 PM »

Gill's slides and reading material made me want to puke.  more cdc crap as you guys said.  He's channeling Straus full-on.

Is this a fatigued polar bear enjoying his lazy self in Alter's last slide?:

http://demystifyingmedicine.od.nih.gov/DM11/02-22-2011/2011-02-22-%20Alter.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:48:48 PM by Justin Reilly »
Silence = A Living Death