Author Topic: If I could only take ONE supplement . . .  (Read 2506 times)

Levi

If I could only take ONE supplement . . .
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
This is intended to be a work in progress. If your choice is not on the poll yet, post about it and I will add it to the poll for you to come back and vote for it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:15:36 PM by Levi »

subtr4ct

• Just came to freak you out, baby
Re: If I could only take ONE supplement . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
NAC
Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor.  This post is not medical advice.  Consult your physician before taking any action.

belcanto

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
Hate to say this, but tylenol is the only thing that i know will help with pain.  All others I've tried are "maybe so's".

Mark3981

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:36:47 AM »
Good poll Levi, I'm hopeful one day I will find some magic combo of supplements that will bring me back to life.

My favorite is kind of controversial, because some say it may re-distributing metals in the body. I haven't had a problem with re-distriburing metals that I know of.  That would be Alpha lipoic acid/acetyal N carnitine capsule from vitacost(I only tried one other brand by jarrow that I didn't like). it keeps my gums healthy and gives me energy.

I just started PQQ by the way, and after about a week I can say I feel something but it hasn't been long enough to really tell for sure. I guess I will know in a couple months if it really helps.

I like NAC, but I can only hack it when I am taking antibiotics otherwise it just messes me up. I forget how exactly, but it doesn't work otherwise for me.

Wow Belcanto, I get really sick from Acetaminophen. Some vicodin made me bedbound for about 6 months with severe POTS acutally. How different we all are.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:42:52 AM by froggycrs »

Rainmom

• ~ be nice to your children- remember, they choose
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 03:59:03 AM »
Belcanto, Tylenol depletes glutathione- have you checked your levels of glutathione yet? LabCorp now does that test. (sweet!)

BTW- You know when tylenol causes liver failure what the remedy hospitals use is? IV NAC

Mark3981

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:20:35 AM »
Kiwifruit are loaded with PQQ, by the way, if one wishes to go the natural route.

Levi, Good to know about the Kiwi's. I can buy a bag of 7 those for about a dollar when in season. Next year I will mix some Kiwi in with my breakfast papaya.

My Pqq supp only has 10 MG per capsule and I noticed yours has 20 plus the coq-10. How do you order that stuff? It tells me I need a mdeical provider. Looks like they have some good products.

rainmom, I might be interested in the glutathione test, any idea how much off hand? No need to worry if you don't I can look it up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:23:04 AM by froggycrs »

Val

• Image via El Ghany/Reuters
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 05:37:36 AM »
Undenatured whey protein for me.  Absolutely fabulous stuff for me (titrated up VERY, VERY SLOWLY), but I had to go off it after 2 years because of its effects on estrogen at a time when estrogen was a major issue for me.  That time is past, but I've been chicken about starting it again because it's so powerful and I haven't had/don't have time to sleep for a week.

Is fish oil/the omegas on the list in some form I don't recognize?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:41:12 AM by ValB626 »

JT1024

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:41 AM »
I have to take advil when my pain level is extremely high but another supplement that I started to use recently is SAMe. I had bought the SAMe and not taken it when I found out my dog needed it. Rather than paying a high amount for SAMe that I already had, I started him on the stuff I bought from iHerb. I then started taking it myself. I found that the SAMe seemed to improve my mental clarity. At this point, I need all I can get!

The number of supplements have grown over the years to include a multi-vitamin, B-Complex with methyl-B12, Jarrow folate, Ubiquinol, Magnesium Malate, Calcium Citrate, D3, EFA/DHA, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, gingko biloba, and.....??? I'm sure I'm missing something but I need to get to bed!

IMHO, one supplement is not going to do it for me.   8)

ETA: I googled SAMe and glutathione because I knew SAMe somehow increased glutathione levels. One site had some great information on supplements and it describes glutathione as the "Master Anti-oxident".  I also noticed another supplement -PPC. It caught my attention because it mentioned phospholipids and cell membranes.  There was a discussion somewhere about phospholipids and cardiolipin so that piqued my interest.  Here is the link: http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-options/treatment-information/antioxidants-and-liver-supplements/

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:00:32 PM by JT1024 »
First they Ignore you , then they Laugh at you , then they Attack you , then you WIN!!!

Mahatma Gandhi

TiredOne

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
How about Magnesium (sorry if one of the others contains this - don't have much time to examine each one)?

Mark3981

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »
That glutathione sounds pretty interesting. Another miracle money extractor   ;)

I think that is $727 for 10 months supply. The website claims that they have a no hassle refund policy if one is not satisfied, but again they might just figure most folks are so tired they just don;t follow up probably. That's my case anyways...

Rainmom

• ~ be nice to your children- remember, they choose
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
I know families who's kids have recovered from autism using IV glutathione and phos choline weekly or 2x a week for a few months.... I plan to report back on a mini-study soon, will let you know.

Those GSH pathes (eyes rolling)

JJill James protocol boosts GSH levels- hence Jamie Deckoff-Jones use of Deplin and MB-12.

MB-12 shots have proven VERY helpful here.

Mark3981

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »
Accupunchure. yikes! Had me fooled.

Rainmom, can you say how much the glutathione IV is going to cost you? I have had some pretty good success in the past with taking OSR#1, (which is no longer on the market) but does a great job at raising glutathione. That is if one can get it to work correctly. I had it working but blew it somehow and I don;t really even remember what I did worng to tel lthe truth.

FElt way better tahn I do now for sure. I think that glutatione IV is definetly worth a shot, if there was a doc close by I might try it.

Natasa

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »
for those who cannot get or afford IV, glutathione cream is worth trying imo http://kirkmanlabs.com/ViewProductDetails@Product_ID@216@Product_Group_ID@1.aspx (start low and slow)

lulu

• You diabolical mastermind, you!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
Is lotion better than taking it orally Natasa?

since

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 02:36:42 AM »
You can raise glutathione by taking n-acetylcysteine [1]. Administering glutathione directly will either not be absorbed or will lead only to increased oxidized glutathione [2], which is not what you want.

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11029607
2. http://cfspatientadvocate.blogspot.com/2009/06/cheney-lecture-april-2009.html (under "Question Period")
Quality over quantity.