Author Topic: CFS Patients Grow Weary of Doubt - ABC News 11/29/10  (Read 2808 times)

Patricia/Wildaisy

• Administrator
CFS Patients Grow Weary of Doubt - ABC News 11/29/10
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »
(Thanks to XMRV Global Action on Facebook)

video and article:

Doctors, Patients Roiled By CDC Study Linking Personality Disorders to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   
  1 comment    By MIKAELA CONLEY, ABC News Medical Unit
   Nov. 29, 2010

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodResourceCenter/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-link-personality-disorders/story?id=12102316&page=1

In a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Emory University School of Medicine, researchers found that CFS was associated with an increased prevalence of personality disorders. Authors also said that personality may be a risk factor for CFS and may contribute to the maintenance of the illness.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:35:17 PM by Wildaisy »
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Kati

Re: CFS Patients Grow Weary of Doubt - ABC News 11/29/10
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »
Thank you for posting this Wildaisy.

I would recommend patients to comment this article- and nasty video attached. I am glad that doctors that support us disagree with the CDC and Unger and talk against personality disorders.

Patricia/Wildaisy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »
I'm trying to comment, Kati, but they require that you have an account first, which I have, but of course I have fogotten the password.  So, anyone who wants to comment, you'll need to register for an account first.  This has my attention now, and I'm going to comment even if I have to re-write the whole thing.

Ha!  It continues.  I don't think they really want me to comment.  Now that they have reset my password, I get this error notice:

Sorry 
   There was an error processing the request. Either the server cannot process the request at this time or the requested resource was not found.

I finally got my comment to post.  I had included a statement that this waste of taxpayer dollars merits a Congressional investigation, but that was deleted.  I guess they really do monitor their comments and allow some things and disallow others.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:33:02 PM by Wildaisy »
Winston Churchill

Patricia/Wildaisy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
Levi, they aren't biding their time.  They are full force active.  What do you think this CDC study is about?

PERSONALITY DISORDERS !!!

Researchers found that CFS was associated with an increased prevalence of personality disorders. Authors also said that personality may be a risk factor for CFS and may contribute to the maintenance of the illness.
Winston Churchill

Robyn

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:49:34 PM »
I wonder if prostate cancer comes with a personality disorder? Or maybe a personality disorder causes it! 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:59:49 PM by Robyn »

Kati

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
Wildaisy I noticed that you were able to comment in the end. Great job!

Patricia/Wildaisy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
Do tell, Levi.  Feel free to start a new thread somewhere else. 
Winston Churchill

Val

• Image via El Ghany/Reuters
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
Personality disorders supposedly are not amenable to treatment, so we're screwed again on this, too.

gracenote

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
I think it's taken a while for Komaroff to become our "friend."

CFS first gain substantial attention in the mid-1980s. Komaroff said many doctors thought CFS to be a psychiatric condition.

"It was a reasonable possibility, but over the course of 25 years, there are literally thousands of peer-reviewed papers showing things you can measure in patients that are different from healthy people," said Komaroff. "There is abundant evidence showing that there are objective things to measure that people aren't just imagining being there. There is an underlying biological process."

It NEVER was "a reasonable possibility." Not for anyone who made the slightest effort to look at the patients.

----------

I wrote a comment and couldn't get past the registration. Apparently my name is already taken, and probably by me! (Oh, where oh where has my password gone!)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:34:35 PM by gracenote »
You need to first decide this is a disease worth studying.
— Harvey Alter

belcanto

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
What I remember learning about personality disorders - maybe incorrectly - is that they are an inherent piece of personality - not a "reaction" to being sick.  So Unger may be being disingenuous in saying that it's possible. 

Wikipedia includes the following from ICD-10 :  There must be evidence that the deviation is stable and of long duration, having its onset in late childhood or adolescence.

I don't trust anything that she says!

Jaz

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
Thank you for that bel... I don't trust Unger at all either.   >:(
The goal is not to bring your adversaries to their knees but to their senses. -- Gandhi

Jerry

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
What I remember learning about personality disorders - maybe incorrectly - is that they are an inherent piece of personality - not a "reaction" to being sick.  So Unger may be being disingenuous in saying that it's possible. 

Wikipedia includes the following from ICD-10 :  There must be evidence that the deviation is stable and of long duration, having its onset in late childhood or adolescence.

I don't trust anything that she says!

Excellent point, bel. Personality disorders are largely regarded as being an inherent feature, and  there is little improvement with treatment. Unger can't even get her story straight. After all, she's only an amateur psychiatrist like Reeves and Jones.

Jaz

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »
Dr. Unger’s ‘Job Interview’ by the CFSAC Committee

Personality Disorder - Dr. Unger waffled on Lenny Jason’s question asking whether she thought CFS was due to a personality disorder saying that she stood by the paper but that it really wasn't her field….but she really is the acting director of the program and the CDC CFS team contain really does not put out all that many papers, and she should be able to speak on any on them.

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/content.php?251-CDC-at-the-CFSAC-Meeting

Doesn't that just say it all?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:00:51 PM by starryeyes »
The goal is not to bring your adversaries to their knees but to their senses. -- Gandhi

sarah

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 12:02:16 AM »
Holy crap! They interview a woman about my age who is sick in the same tiny, very tiny town that I was living in when I got sick! haven't even finished the article...just had to blurt that out. I wonder how long she's been sick for? I recognize her name cause her family used to come to the movie store I worked at. weird.

ETA- yeah, now I've read the article. I've never seen anything good about this disease come out of abc news and it was naive of me to hope this would be different. Still just awestruck by the girl though. Farmington, Maine...wow.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:14:09 AM by sarah »

kdeneris

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 12:58:56 AM »
This is the study that was done by Reeves and published on-line last summer on July 28, 2010.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?typ=pdf&doi=319312

It seems to have appeared in the August 2010 edition of "Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics," Vol. 79, No. 5, 2010.

The question is why this article is getting attention now.

The same issue of "Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics" also contains the blockbuster article "Receptive Music Therapy for the Treatment of Depression: A Proof-of-Concept Study and Prospective Controlled Clinical Trial of Efficacy" which found that patients who listened to "newly composed polyphonic modern music" had a greater reduction in depression than those listening to "specifically arranged classical music."

http://serial-box.net/dev2/music-therapy-potentially-effective-depression-treatment-alternative.html

It's true. I always find that newly composed polyphonic modern music is uplifting...

I agree, it's very suspicious that ABC wants to discuss personality disorders at this particular moment.  In conjunction with the puff piece in the New York Times on Lipkin, and the way Lipkin was also described in WSJ as the final arbiter on XMRV science, it's very disturbing. 

The story the media is being fed seems designed to make the government appear 'open minded' about the XMRV-ME/CFS link, but it also seems designed to cut the ground right out from under the WPI's feet.  I'm hoping this is simply the media positioning itself not to look stupid, no matter what the results of Lipkin's study. 

Thanks for uplifting Leonard Cohen song, Forbin.

Kim

"In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is King" -- Hunter S. Thompson.