Author Topic: PCR & Serology no XMRV in Autism - new study  (Read 2687 times)

Tango

• Paprotka et al. 2011 is a bust!
PCR & Serology no XMRV in Autism - new study
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
http://www.molecularautism.com/content/1/1/14
PCR and serology find no association between xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) and autism
Brent C. Satterfield , Rebecca A. Garcia , Fiorella Gurrieri  and Charles E. Schwartz

Molecular Autism 2010, 1:14doi:10.1186/2040-2392-1-14

Published:   14 October 2010
Abstract (provisional)

Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a retrovirus implicated in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Press releases have suggested that it could contribute to autism spectrum disorder (ASD). In this study we used two PCR assays and one antibody assay to screen 25 blood samples from autistic children born to mothers with CFS and from 20 mixed controls including family members of the children assayed, people with fibromyalgia and people with chronic Lyme disease. Using a real-time PCR assay, we screened an additional 48 South Carolina autism disorder samples, 96 Italian ASD)samples, 61 South Carolina ASD samples and 184 healthy controls. Despite having the ability to detect low copy number XMRV DNA in a large background of cellular DNA, none of the PCR assays found any evidence of XMRV infection in blood cells from patients or controls. Further, no anti-XMRV antibodies were detected, ruling out possible low level or abortive infections in blood or in other reservoirs. These results imply that XMRV is not associated with autism.

"I suspect there have been a number of conspiracies that never were described or leaked out. But I suspect none of the magnitude and sweep of Watergate." Woodward

"I would favor any name that does not impose (or give the appearance of imposing) taxonomic preconceptions on the nomenclature." Coffin

Kati

Re: PCR & Serology no XMRV in Autism - new study
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
Good grief, how come so many bad news? and can people comment on methodology please?

Tango

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:42:37 PM »
two PCR assays and one antibody assay
no evidence of XMRV in 204 controls and 230 autism samples (434 samples in total).

25 autistic children born to mothers with CFS (banked samples & new I think)
20 mixed controls including family members of the children assayed, people with fibromyalgia and people with chronic Lyme disease.

Using a real-time PCR assay, we screened an additional 48 South Carolina autism disorder samples, 96 Italian ASD)samples, 61 South Carolina ASD samples and 184 healthy controls.

A novel real-time PCR assay targeting the pol gene in murine leukemia virus (MuLV) and XMRV was used to detect XMRV

The primers and probes for the assay were designed against regions of XMRV that were 100% conserved in the seven sequenced XMRV strains (available in GenBank; accession numbers GQ497344.1, GQ497343.1, NC_007815.1, EF185282.1, DQ399707.1, DQ241302.1, DQ241301.1).

Sensitivity of the assay was determined by running dilutions (600, 60 and 6 copies per reaction) of synthetic DNA of the VP62 XMRV strain in a background of 2.5 μg of genomic DNA. DNA from XMRV-infected 22Rv1 cells was used as an additional validation of the sensitivity of each assay

The 25 ASD samples from children born to mothers with CFS and the 20 mixed control samples were also submitted to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for blinded assaying using an XMRV western blot and a nested PCR assay (external primers XPOLOF and XPOLOR; internal primers XPOLIF and XPOLIR as shown in the Switzer, et al publication) that detects both MuLV and XMRV pol gene sequences [13].
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:45:44 PM by v99 »
"I suspect there have been a number of conspiracies that never were described or leaked out. But I suspect none of the magnitude and sweep of Watergate." Woodward

"I would favor any name that does not impose (or give the appearance of imposing) taxonomic preconceptions on the nomenclature." Coffin

Tango

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »
they calibrated their test to a synthetic sample, as did the cdc.    guess it tells us nothing

Hoping

• I'm A Gamma!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
And they found nothing. 

Will these guys please read the f'n manual?
One day at a time.

Robyn

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »
they calibrated their test to a synthetic sample, as did the cdc.    guess it tells us nothing

Especially since the CDC can't seem to find their A-- from a hole in the ground.

Jenny80

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »
This study is CRAP.  A throw-away waste of time.  Remember that the WPI preliminary study of families with neuroimmune disease (a poster from the workshop) showed that 84% of kids with Autism tested positive for XMRV/MuLV's.

This is very discouraging to me.  I KNOW that XMRV is in our children with autism, and now more negative useless studies set us back even further, before we have even had a fighting chance!

Jenny80

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
and WOW not one was contaminated with mouse-virus DNA!  That is really something.

(note my sarcasm)

Gerwyn

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »

they used a synthetic clone yet another unvalidated assay cant find a wild type virus  what a suprise

Tango

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »

Robyn

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
Sounds like they are just trying to pile up the negative (we don't know how to look for XMRV) papers to try and bury the truth.  When have we seen that before.  With this and the recent re-emergence of their contamination whisper campaign, looks like they are giving it their best shots at trying to cover this up. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:29:19 PM by Robyn »

Hoping

• I'm A Gamma!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
We need a post card mailer that has

How to find XMRV/MLV's on one side  - with a big happy face   :D

and

How NOT to find XMRV/MLVs on the other - with an angry face    >:(

Mail to every virologist and retrovirologist.  How many can there be.  ::)

(just kidding).  I'm mad.
One day at a time.

Jerry

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »
I can understand, Hoping. It's frustrating and puzzling why they keep doing studies using methods shown to be incapable of detecting XMRV and MLV-related retroviruses. I keep wondering why don't they just send their samples to VIP Dx? ::)

Robyn

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »
I can understand, Hoping. It's frustrating and puzzling why they keep doing studies using methods shown to be incapable of detecting XMRV and MLV-related retroviruses. I keep wondering why don't they just send their samples to VIP Dx? ::)

Because Myra, Bill, Wessley and the CAA are busy telling lies and trying to make people believe it's contamination.  Just out of curiousity.  How do the mice get into the carboard boxes or past the little red plug on the vial?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:35:42 PM by Robyn »

RustyJ

• Ack Ack!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
At least we can rule out cohort selection. (Unless the children didn't have autism because everyone with obvious biological autism symptoms were excluded. ;) )

Judging by this study, probably can rule out cohort issues with most the other negative studies also. Because they should at least have found 4-7% XMRV or MuLVs.

Who are these researchers? Any obvious connections with the known anti XMRV-CFS groups?