Author Topic: NCF Against IOM Study, 10/16/2013  (Read 837 times)

Patricia

• Administrator
NCF Against IOM Study, 10/16/2013
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:44:12 PM »
The National CFIDS Foundation has been asked for our stance on the IOM
redefining the illness of what the DHHS refers to as chronic fatigue
syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis.  That referral seems partricularly strange to us as
the CDC took ME off their diagnostic code in the United States many years
ago so no physician is able to diagnose ME although eliminating that
terminology has certainly not eliminated the illness.  It is the reason that we
refer to our own illness (we are an all volunteer federally approved charity) as
CFIDS and never use the CFS term since the ID (immune dysfunction) cannot
be dealt with until  a therapy can be aimed at the specific cause of the
illness. 

The NCF is against the Institute of Medicine and their "efforts". Our
government has already proven more than capable of ignoring scientific work with
Gulf War Illness and given it a much more obscure name by the IOM just as a
CDC committee did with ME decades ago and whose committee members became
authors of the first Holmes criteria.

Gail Kansky
President, National CFIDS Foundation
103 Aletha Rd.
Needham, MA 02492-3931
http://www.NCF-NET.org
781-449-3535
'with God all things are possible' (Matthew 19:26)

EJ

Re: NCF Against IOM Study, 10/16/2013
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
That referral seems partricularly strange to us as
the CDC took ME off their diagnostic code in the United States many years
ago so no physician is able to diagnose ME although eliminating that
terminology has certainly not eliminated the illness.

Did you know about this? In any case, how can this be possible?

liquid sky

Re: NCF Against IOM Study, 10/16/2013
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
Are they sure about removing ME from the diagnostic code? I thought it remained. Here's some info I found about it.

http://www.masscfids.org/resource-library/8-diagnosis/456-updated-us-illness-codes-perpetuate-medical-ignorance-of-mecfs

Diagnostic Codings in the new U.S. Code (ICD-10-CM)

As already mentioned, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the name most used to identify the illness, will be placed after October 1, 2014 in the vague "orphan" category: Chapter 18, "Symptoms, signs, and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified" (R00-R99). The R53 subsection, in which CFS is placed, is titled "Malaise and Fatigue". CFS is specifically coded as R53.82, "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, unspecified> Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (NOS)" [Not otherwise specified]. Again, it's not hard to see how this placement undermines a scientific understanding of ME/CFS.

This coding of CFS follows the current ICD-9-CM code (in force for many years) which also places CFS in the vague category: "General Symptoms", in the Chapter:  "Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-Defined Conditions". The code for CFS is 780.71. Because most doctors and insurance companies in the U.S. know ME/CFS as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the illness has been frequently coded as 780.71.

However, less well known by physicians is the placement both in the current ICD-9-CM and the new, revised code ICD-10-CM of (b)ME and Postviral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS) under Diseases of the Nervous System. In the ICD-10-CM, (b)ME and PVFS will be coded in Chapter 6 "Diseases of the Nervous System", in the subcategory G93 "Other Disorders of the Brain". G93.3 is the actual code for (b)ME and PVFS.

In the current ICD-9-CM, ME/CFS is classified as a nervous/organ system disease in Chapter 6, "Diseases of the Nervous System and Sense Organs" (320-389), under subheading 320-326 "Inflammatory Diseases of the Central Nervous System". The Tabular Listing gives the specific code as 323.9: "Unspecified cause of encephalitis, myelitis, and encephalomyelitis." The associated Index document lists "Encephalomyelitis (chronic) (granulomatous) (hemorrhagic necrotizing, acute) (myalgic, benign) (see also Encephalomyelitis)" also coded as 323.9.