Author Topic: What ME would look like if it were visible  (Read 390 times)

Patricia

• Administrator
What ME would look like if it were visible
« on: May 08, 2013, 03:39:01 AM »
Please share this picture widely - the artist has very generously given this drawing to the ME community to raise awareness about this horrible disease.  This picture captures really well what ME would look like if visible.

Never be bullied into silence; speak your truth even when your voice shakes.

Validator

Re: What ME would look like if it were visible
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
Nice drawing and all, but a sceptic will just see a picture of a depressed or anxious person.  What is it that's been made visible exactly, a sad face? 

Before I opened the thread I was expecting to see something more dramatic; a spine that was on fire, a bed made of barbed wire, clothing made of chains, a vice around the chest, a heart squeezed in a mailed fist, acid being poured through veins, medieval torture implements on the head and so on.  I would do it myself if I could still draw. Think Frida Kahlo's metaphors for physical pain.

It's the bodily, organicity of the disease that needs expressed, not unhappiness or a vague feeling, since it seems most people out there can't tell the difference from tiredness/depression/worry etc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:10:41 PM by Validator »

Flopsy

Re: What ME would look like if it were visible
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:39:07 AM »
I couldn't really see my ME in that drawing. It's a personal thing and the artist may have drawn what they look like when having a terrible time of the disease.

Not sure if that is a very useful drawing to illustrate ME or not. Would depend on the context used maybe (i.e. before and after).