Author Topic: New Neck, throat, face pain  (Read 2370 times)

Hopeforcure

New Neck, throat, face pain
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
Hi I have had some new symptoms this year and was wondering if anyone else experienced these, or can steer me in the right direction.

About a year ago, started developing frontal neck pain. I had a hemithyroidectomy in Oct. 2010 with incidental micro papillary cancer.

Throughout 2012, neck and then throat pain worsened, with dry throat and mouth. Saw many doctors and had CTs, MRI with no sign of tumors,but there was some highlighted areas in salivary glands and roof of mouth.

ENT even took out tonsils this Fall. All to no avail.

Here are my concerns/questions:
1. Could it be some additional papillary cancer in the remaining half of my thyroid? There were no tumors onCT, but does all cancer have tumors?

2. Could it be some other type of cancer (salivary?) and is this common in cfs?

3. maybe it is something else like sjogrens? Blood test was negative for sjogrens.

Thank you for your assistance in helping figure this out. I know it would be impossible to definitively say on an Internet message board, but any insights, or familiarity with these symptoms would be greatly appreciated!

Patricia

• Administrator
Re: New Neck, throat, face pain
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
I'm sorry to hear all this, Hopeforcure.

Most of the forum members here are not physicians, but most are knowledgeable patients.  We can't diagnose your illness; but some of us may have experience with the symptoms you describe, and we can tell you about those.

I have had thyroid problems my entire adult life, including some thirty years before I developed M.E., sudden onset, on 12/31/1986.  Sore throats, which arose after every plane trip (and I traveled most weeks in my work), were one of the most annoying early symptoms.  Fortunately for me, so far I have not developed any cancers or sjogrens.  I just continue to have painful sore throats; there does not seem to be any end in sight for these, although other symptoms have now developed which are more serious for me.

I wish you the best with your research.  Maybe other forum members will have more useful information for you.
“Attacking people with disabilities is the lowest display of power I can think of.”–Morgan Freeman

liquid sky

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
Not sure if you are referring to throat pain inside or outside? I had a very sensitive/soreness in the front of my neck before I came down with ME. I developed sudden hypothyroidism and take meds. The sensitivity is still there, even with the replacement thyroid hormone. It is so sensitive that I cannot wear anything that touches my throat in front.

It does sound like you have a much more complicated situation. I hope you find some answers to it.

Mewkiss

• I READ AT A 4TH GRADE LEVEL! NOTHING TECHNICAL!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
One of the miserable things about ME is that "things just happen".  I have had crazy symptoms/problems that were not anything but this stupid disease.  Like the bottoms of me feet felt like someone slammed them with a bat.  That went on for months and then went away. 

I also recently developed TMJ which can affect the throat, neck, jaw...

I'm not at all minimizing your situation but there is so much crap that goes along with this disease that we have to tolerate.  Some things we may never know the cause.

I think you are doing what you can to find out what it is, if it is not ME related.  Good luck
The good news is, you're not gonna die.  The bad news is, you're not gonna die.

Karin

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
A year ago I had sudden onset of intense burning and stinging inside my mouth (tongue, gums and throat), as well as itching around my mouth and on a couple spots on my face. It felt just like I had eaten hot peppers, or drank too hot water. Yet I could not see any lesions inside my mouth or on my face, except for some dryness on my skin. It would wake me up at night.

I went to my doctor and to my dentist, who couldn't see anything either: had head x-rays, blood tests, etc... nothing was found. I heard theories from them as possible causes being shingles, herpes simplex, various vitamin deficiencies, food allergies, thrush, etc... yet nothing was really fitting.

I tried everything and more: change my diet drastically, discontinue all cosmetics and toothpaste, add vitamins, remove vitamins, take flavonoids, herbal antivirals, antifungals, detox, etc.. etc... yada yada. It slowly went better over a course of four months, following a decreasing sinusoid kind of curve. If have no idea if and how anything I did had any influence on it getting better.

I also heard about 'burning mouth syndrome' affecting mostly 'middle-aged women with a history of anxiety and depression'...  >:( I was very annoyed to hear that. Why can't I ever have something that's not some kind of mysterious 'syndrome' with no known cause or cure?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:29:10 PM by Karin »

Mewkiss

• I READ AT A 4TH GRADE LEVEL! NOTHING TECHNICAL!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
@Karin,  Isn't it frustrating?   What do you tell a doctor when the bottom of your feet hurt?

I went to 2 docs for my TMJ and even though it's much better my teeth throb when I'm tired or stressed and I have an altered taste in my mouth.

We should get credited for having to tolerate so much BS that comes along with this disease.  A disease of tolerance.

Mew
The good news is, you're not gonna die.  The bad news is, you're not gonna die.