Author Topic: 18 Sept 2012 - Dr Lipkin XMRV / MLV Study to be Published + Press Conference!  (Read 11351 times)

subtr4ct

• Just came to freak you out, baby
Re: 18 Sept 2012 - Dr Lipkin XMRV / MLV Study to be Published + Press Conference!
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
Video of press conference via bitorrent:

video is now available at the columbia website:  link
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:10:19 PM by subtr4ct »
Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor.  This post is not medical advice.  Consult your physician before taking any action.

Robyn

Re: 18 Sept 2012 - Dr Lipkin XMRV / MLV Study to be Published + Press Conference!
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »
Must be a reason I'm Sero positive!  They can't explain the antibody response seen.  More research is needed. Deep sequencing should provide more answers at some point for this illness.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:53:14 PM by Robyn »
"If Freedom of Speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter,"
George Washington

Karin

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
I was able to be seen early for my appointment and so I was able to catch the press conference from 10:45 on (missed the beginning).

I must say I am happy with what I saw. Especially with the statements and body language (nodding, etc...) of Alter, Mikovits and Ruscetti. It sounds like they are all in total agreement that XMRV and pMLVs are now excluded. Alter said (I paraphrase) 'that we must resist the temptation of keeping XMRV/pMLVs on the table'. The page is turned.

Judy also said that even though tissue samples (e.g. lymph nodes) had not been studied, she is certain some of the infection would have spilled in the blood and would have been found in this study, if it was there. That answered one of the fundamental questions I had.

I am also happy with Lipkin's statement that future studies will be using deep sequencing, and that 'if a retrovirus is involved with the disease, if will be caught then, excluding that anything will go unnoticed due to primer or reagent issues' (again, paraphrasing). That is also exactly what I wanted to know.

So I am really relieved at this point and I am glad I was able to catch part of this press conference to see and hear all this directly.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:04:35 PM by Karin »

kdp

• support hgrv research
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
Definitely worth watching for seriousness of treatment of issues, and some talk of future work.  Encouraging us to keep pressing the political system for money,  NiH, good time to make progress.

I would have liked to ask Alter if any federal work coming up. 

I hope the deep sequencing finds some or several things.  Can anyone tell me how research in cytokines could be encouraging?

Patricia

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
If there is a unique cytokine signature, it could be a biomarker for M.E.

And if my memory serves, there was a unique cytokine signature showing in some of Mikovits' research.  Klimas research showed a cytokine signature different from Mikovits'.

Never be bullied into silence; speak your truth even when your voice shakes.

kdp

• support hgrv research
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
Thank you Wildaisy.  Can anyone get the twiv interview?

Sp!ndrift

• Intelligent Sexy Dangerous
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
Vid can now be watched directly @ http://cii.columbia.edu/blog.htm?cid=tM5E7V
Eddie would go

Sp!ndrift

• Intelligent Sexy Dangerous
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »

nah... Vinnie is flaking again  8)
Eddie would go

Patricia

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »

It's supposed to be here:

http://www.twiv.tv/

but if it is, I can't make it work.

villagelife

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
From twitter:

@CII722: XMRV & prostate cancer study will be released soon (not from us). We can't discuss specifics because of the embargo.

Katrina

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »

Watching the Lipkin press conference at Columbia.  While the findings of no
link between CFS/ME and XMRV are disappointing, there is an interesting
pattern of immunoreactivity in patients in the trial, indicating an
underlying change in or challenge to the immune system.

David Goggin
Chief Operating Officer
ImmunoProp Pharma, Inc.

https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind1209c&L=co-cure&F=&S=&P=25984

Patricia

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
I have transcribed the first half of the press conference and posted it in the forum Wiki:

http://www.mecfsforums.com/wiki/Multicenter_Study_of_CFS/ME

gracenote

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2012, 09:19:41 PM »
From twitter:

@CII722: XMRV & prostate cancer study will be released soon (not from us). We can't discuss specifics because of the embargo.

I just saw this posted:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-09-erroneous-link-xmrv-virus-prostate.html

New study confirms erroneous link between XMRV virus, prostate cancer

A once-promising discovery linking prostate cancer to an obscure retrovirus derived from mice was the result of an inadvertent laboratory contamination, a forensic analysis of tissue samples and lab experiments – some dating back nearly a decade – has confirmed.

Read more at: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-09-erroneous-link-xmrv-virus-prostate.html#jCp
You need to first decide this is a disease worth studying.
— Harvey Alter

since

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »
I have transcribed the first half of the press conference and posted it in the forum Wiki:

http://www.mecfsforums.com/wiki/Multicenter_Study_of_CFS/ME

Thanks so much!!

I thought this part was interesting:

Quote from: Lipkin
Our first foray, if you want to call it that, into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was back in the middle 1990’s when there was a Japanese group that said fifty percent of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Japan was due to borna disease virus, a virus that we’d identified earlier. And when we went through that and were unable to find any link between borna virus and this syndrome, the one thing that did impress me was that there was an enormous amount of immune-reactivity that appeared to be non-specific in these individuals. So at a time when people were saying this was a psychosomatic disorder, I said two-thirds to three-quarters of the individuals whom we’ve studied have polyclonal B-cell activation. They’re sick.
Quality over quantity.

CFSBOSTON

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
Testing antibody + for anything is meaningless.

Antibodies are a good thing.  It's how the body works.

If I had the flu, and I got over the flu in a couple of weeks, I would then have antibodies to that strain of influenza.

If anything having antibodies to something is a great indicator that your body is working properly.