Author Topic: Mulberry leaf extract decreases blood glucose, may be anti-diabetic  (Read 1414 times)

Patricia

• Administrator
http://www.nrjournal.com/article/S0271-5317%2811%2900267-3/abstract

« PreviousNext »Nutrition Research
Volume 32, Issue 1 , Pages 39-44, January 2012Mulberry leaf extract increases adiponectin in murine 3T3-L1 adipocytesReceived 1 July 2011; received in revised form 11 December 2011; accepted 12 December 2011. Abstract We have previously shown that mulberry leaf extract (MA) causes blood glucose levels to decrease in rats with streptozotocin-induced diabetes while enhancing glucose uptake by isolated fat cells. We hypothesized that the antidiabetic activity of MA is mediated via enhancement of adiponectin secretion and adipogenesis, which consequently decreases blood glucose.

In the present study, we aimed to elucidate the molecular basis for the observed antidiabetic activity using murine 3T3-L1 preadipocyte cultures. We found that treatment of differentiating 3T3-L1 cells with MA at concentrations of 5, 15, and 45 μg/mL increased expression of adiponectin messenger RNA from 1.4-fold (control) to 1.5-, 1.95-, and 2.2-fold above basal values, respectively, while causing adiponectin secretion to increase from 70 ± 7.4 ng/mL to 100 ± 1.4, 138 ± 2.0, and 176 ± 21.4 ng/mL, respectively.

Furthermore, we observed an increase in both lipid accumulation and messenger RNA expression of transcription factors, such as CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein α and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ; and of the fatty acid–binding protein aP2 in differentiated 3T3-L1 cells pretreated with MA.

Our findings indicate that the stimulatory effects of mulberry leaf extract on adipocyte proliferation and differentiation likely occur through up-regulation of adipogenic transcription factors and downstream gene expression. Such effects of mulberry leaf extract on adiponectin secretion and adipocyte activity may account for, at least in part, the antidiabetic effects of consumption of beverages containing mulberry leaves.

Abbreviations: aP2, adipocyte fatty acid–binding protein, C/EBPα, CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein α, DMEM/HG, Dulbecco modified Eagle medium/high glucose, DNJ, 1-deoxynojirimycin, MA, Morus alba leaf extract, mRNA, messenger RNA, MTT, L-3-(4,5-dimethylthiazole-2-yl)-2,5 diphenyltetrazolium bromide, PPARγ, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ, RT-PCR, real-time polymerase chain reaction, TZDs, thiazolidinediones

Keywords: Mulberry, Morus alba Linn., Adipogenesis, PPAR-γ, C/EBP-α, aP2, Adiponectin, 3T3-L1 adipocytes
'with God all things are possible' (Matthew 19:26)

Jackie

Re: Mulberry leaf extract decreases blood glucose, may be anti-diabetic
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »
thanks for this - very interesting! (especially "the antidiabetic effects of consumption of beverages containing mulberry leaves")

(btw, i have a mulberry tree...sort of rare in the area i live in. mine is a white mulberry tree which is the most resistant to cold - we get the cold, blustery winds off the pacific ocean - but my tree bears white berries every fall - they are nearly transparent (and mildly sweet)...we spread sheets under the branches when they are ripe (the tree is about 40-50 ft. tall) and shake the tree! (well, i make somebody else shake the tree - while i watch). the leaves are huge!

thats the only way to get them off the tree...the delicate berries fall off by the dozens (and make wonderful jam and pies...like i have the energy for jam making! ::) 

(my husband is a diabetic, i have metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes. i'll have to research processing the leaves to use in a drink...maybe as one would do with fresh mint? - which i also brew to make an egyptian style tea beverage...AFTER i figured out i needed to move my mint bushes away from the oleander.)
"...i am thankful for laughter ~ except when milk comes out of my nose."

Patricia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »
Thank you, Jackie.  I am very fond of mulberries.  There was a huge old black mulberry tree at the edge of the orange grove at the house where I grew up.  All the children in the neighborhood would climb the trees and eat mulberries until we couldn't hold any more.  For years, my clothes were stained with mulberries.

I hope you'll share what you fnd out about mulberry leaf drink.
'with God all things are possible' (Matthew 19:26)

Levi

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:53:25 AM »
Lots of help now for metabolic syndrome with CAM studies.  Here is a double blind one on Kudzu:
http://www.flimecfsforum.com/forum/index.php?f=35&t=508&p=841&hilit=kudzu&rb_v=viewtopic#p841.  Thanks for the link on Mulberry extract.